Research has shown that many states experience a rise in domestic fires over Halloween and one of the reasons for this is the large number of candles being used. Candles help to create an eerie, mysterious and spooky atmosphere. They do this by providing just enough light in a dark room to move around and generating shadows and shapes. This is one of the reasons why candles are used in abundance during Halloween.
A carved pumpkin with a candle placed inside is another classic Halloween decoration, and most families participating in Halloween festivities will display a Jack-O’-Lantern on their porch or in their windows to let others know to call there for trick-or-treating. Many people mistakenly believe that placing a candle into a pumpkin makes it much safer than a regular open flame because it is encased in something. Unfortunately, this isn’t true. Pumpkins can still be knocked or blown over, enabling the flame to make contact with carpet, furnishings or other flammable surfaces and putting your property at risk.
Candles + Canines = Catastrophe
While candles and lit pumpkins present enough of a risk on their own, when you have a pet like a dog, the chance of an accident are significantly increased. The main reason for this is because the behavior of an animal can be unpredictable at the best of times, but at Halloween when your dog may be anxious and frightened, or excited and hyperactive, even more so. Animals are incapable of understanding the dangers posed by an open flame, so your dog will not give any candles the respect that they deserve. Whether it is him jumping up or wagging his tail that causes a candle to be knocked over, the risks are still the same and a fire can quickly break out. If your candle is unsupervised, a serious fire can take hold before you even realise that the accident has occurred.
As well as putting your home at risk of being engulfed in a fire, your dog is also at risk of being burnt. Fur can catch light easily, and flames can damage his soft and delicate skin. If he is in costume, he may be even more likely to be burnt since many Halloween outfits are far from flame retardant.
Flameless and LED candles
If you still want to set the mood for your Halloween festivities, we strongly recommend that you use flameless or LED candles instead. These create an identically spooky effect with absolutely no risk to your pet or your property and are available to buy in virtually any hardware, homeware or even grocery store.
Any open flame is a property fire or burn injury waiting to happen. Don’t leave any candles or lit pumpkins unattended this Halloween, and ensure you keep your dog well away from them at all times. If you would like further information about the best ways to prepare for Halloween with a dog, please do not hesitate to contact our vet office in Denton, TX for assistance.